Sunday, July 17, 2011

White Picket Fence Syndrome

This is the beginning of the week of July 17th, it is a Sunday, I always thought the week started on Monday when I was small,  well  probably up until I had
to grow up at 17.  I married for the first time at the wee age of 17 and started a family, I thought I knew everything, I wanted the whole deal, white picket  fence and all.
I believe that  White Picket Fence should be  a clinical category in the New England Journal of Medicine,  it starts when a person becomes delusional about a relationship they are in, for me I was very young and thought I wanted to emulate what I had at home.  I was raised in a great family, great parents, 5 sisters that for the most part got along  very well together, so I met someone who  I could bring into my way of thinking and  talked him into it.  We were doomed from the start, it was in 1979 and most people our age were partying and having fun,  we did the same thing as everyone else, but we had  a baby, bad combination.
Needless to say we only stayed together less than 3 years, had 2 sons who are all growed up and are awesome men.
The point of this rant is to watch your kids, be aware of their relationships, do not allow them to get too involved at an early age and talk to them about life!  My parents did the best that they knew how, with what they had, it was different for them growing up.  The world ws not so active and when they did stuff it was usually wholesome and naive.
I am remarried and just celebrated our 20th anniversary, we have  a son and a daughter,  i do things a little bit differently the second time around, but not much,  I can truly say   I think we have raised great, wonderful kids who are aware of their role on this earth.

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a blog post. Love you sister...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I know your sons from Children's hospital. I agree they are awesome men. Dawn Suitcase Vignettes. see you Thursday if you are working..

    ReplyDelete